The Palace, located in the ancient square of Alessano, a byzantine village a few kilometers from the sea, was built in the late fifteenth century by the will of the Counts "del Balzo" who had inherited the county by Francesco della Ratta, the Count of Caserta, whose emblem, a sixteen-pointed star, is visible on the top of the arch that frames the noble floor window.
Witnesses of the ancient architecture are the austere renaissance front and the impressive staircase, perfect prelude to the magnificence of the interior rooms.
The ownership of the Palace passed from Antonicca del Balzo, the Marchioness of Specchia Alessano, to her beautiful daughter and sole heiress Isabella de Capua, who married in 1530 Ferrante Gonzaga, son of Isabella d'Este and Francesco III Duke of Mantova, bringing with her the regal abode as dowry.
Thanks to the Gonzaga family, Alessano experienced a real cultural renaissance, becoming the largest and most prestigious Signoria of the southern Salento, and seat of the bishopric.
During this time the palace was transformed, becoming a noble residence open to the influences of European culture, consonant with the refinement and sophisticated taste of the noble mantuan family.
Gonzaga were succeeded by the Brayda, Guarini and Ayerbo of Aragon.
At the end of the nineteenth century, the palace was bought by Sangiovanni family, whose heirs are still the owners today.